The extended-release XR 25 mg variant of Adderall is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy. However, Adderall XR 25 mg capsules are specifically designed to suppress symptoms of ADHD only. ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects both children and adults, causing difficulty in focusing and paying attention. A single dose of Adderall XR provides plasma levels similar to that of Adderall IR administered twice daily 4 hours apart.
Adderall XR 25 mg helps increase attention and decrease hyperactivity and impulsiveness in children over the age of 6 years, teenagers, and adults who have been diagnosed with ADHD syndrome. It contains Amphetamine drugs and is classified as a Schedule II controlled substance. Amphetamine salts are generally used along with psychological, educational, and social therapies as a part of an overall treatment program for ADHD. Improvements in ADHD symptoms can be seen within a week after using the Adderall medication.
Adderall XR 25 mg Capsules Description
Each Adderall XR 25 mg capsule can be identified as an orange and white capsule imprinted with ‘ADDERALL XR’ on one end and ‘25 mg’ on the other. These capsules contain 25 mg of mixed salts of amphetamine drugs.
This medication may be taken with or without food depending on the doctor’s advice. The Adderall XR capsule must be swallowed as a whole with plenty of water. Avoid crushing or splitting the capsules. The Adderall XR capsule may be opened under certain special conditions. The contents of the Adderall capsules may be sprinkled over applesauce and should be eaten immediately after sprinkling. Eating all of the sprinkled applesauce will ensure that you get the full dose correctly.
A usual dose of 10 mg of Adderall is taken once daily in the morning. The doctor should start with a lower dose and increase it gradually. The dose of this medication needs to be individualized accordingly as per the need of an individual. Doses above 30 mg daily are not recommended for any individual.
Similar to other medications, the Adderall XR 25 mg capsules must be stored at normal room temperature. Keep the capsules in a secure location where they won’t be exposed to excessive heat, moisture, or direct sunlight. Try to store the capsules somewhere out of reach of children. Make sure to dispose of the leftover or expired medicines properly.
Interaction With Other Substances
The mixed amphetamine salts present in Adderall XR 25 mg capsules tend to interact with several other drugs and substances to develop new side effects or worsen the previous symptoms. Adderall medication can interact with:
– Acidifying agents (guanethidine, reserpine, ammonium chloride)
– Alkalinizing agents (sodium bicarbonate, acetazolamide)
– Antacids (aluminum hydroxide, calcium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide)
– Antihistamines (cetirizine, chlorpheniramine, diphenhydramine, hydroxyzine, loratadine)
– Antipsychotics (chlorpromazine, clozapine, haloperidol, olanzapine, quetiapine, risperidone)
– Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
– Cannabis and narcotic products
– Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like moclobemide, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine
– Multivitamins with or without added minerals
– Opioid pain relievers (Codeine, Morphine, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone)
– Trazodone, etc.
How to Avoid Adderall Drug Interactions
In the case of undesired drug interaction, you must immediately inform the concerned doctor. There are many possible ways to avoid a potential drug interaction related to Adderall XR 25 mg. Usually, the doctor will recommend the following:
– Stop using one of the medications
– Replacing one of the medications with a low-potential alternative
– Changing the way of taking one or both of the medications or rescheduling
Who All Should Avoid Adderall XR 25 mg Capsules
An individual allergic to mixed salts amphetamine or any ingredients of the Adderall XR medication, people allergic or sensitive to sympathomimetics (pseudoephedrine